The ABC NorCal Excellence in Construction (EIC) awards deadline is just around the corner.
The ABC NorCal EIC awards honor the skill and creativity of an entire team: contractor, owner, architect, and engineer. Everyone responsible for an outstanding merit shop construction project. It’s all about shinning the spotlight on exceptional work and the winners will go on to compete at the national level. Talk about an incredible opportunity for recognition and exposure!
In order to be eligible, projects must be completed by October 14, 2016. You must be an ABC member to participate and the deadline for submissions is October 14, 2016. For more information on how to enter this year’s ABC NorCal EIC competition and the application, Click Here.
So what makes a winning EIC Submission?
Here are four tips that will help you achieve a higher score:
1. Spend some time articulating the project’s scope.
- The scope defines the project and it is also the first thing the judges read.
- We highly recommend using bullets to ensure the scope page has a clean layout and is easy to read.
- Check multiple times that you have included all of the items outlined in the application.
- Check out www.abc.org/eic for samples of winning projects.
2. Use the narrative section to tell your project’s story.
- The narrative is worth nearly a third of the total point value and should be the highlight of the application.
- Think about your audience as you put it together. You are in essence “Selling” you project to the judges; word choice and what you include is important.
- It is appropriate to brag about your project in this section. Tell the judges what is unique and innovative about your project. Share obstacles that were overcome. But be sure to do it clearly and concisely.
- Use creative subheads to break up the text.
- Quality photographs are important since judges are not able to visit your project site.
3. Call out innovative safety programs that were utilized.
- Safety is always a priority. Be sure to include the information requested in this section of the application, but also take the opportunity to showcase your commitment to safety.
4. Your binder cover matters.
- This is one instance, where “judging a book by its cover” can come into play. Often, a creative cover can mean the difference between winning one award level over another.
- Pay attention to overall presentation.
- Ask yourself, does everything look cohesive? Even down to the tabs?
- Check that all of the items listed in the application and criteria are included.
Click Here for more information on how to enter the 2016 ABC NorCal EIC Competition.
Remember, the deadline to submit is October 14, 2016.
Best of luck and we cannot wait to see your projects!
Katherina Tews is the Executive Assistant for ABC NorCal, a trade association dedicated to servicing construction professionals from Fresno to the Oregon border. #lovewhatyoudo #lovewhatyoubuild.