What does a carpenter do?
• Carpenters are involved in many types of construction such as residential, commercial and industrial and work in diverse settings.
• Carpenters cut, shape, fit and assemble building materials using the latest power tools.
• Carpenters work with a variety of materials including wood, metal, concrete and plastics.
Quick Quiz: Is carpentry the trade for you?
If you answer yes to the following, then this trade may be a good fit for you.
1. Do you enjoy working with your hands and seeing the "fruits of your labor?"
2. Are you methodical in your approach to a project or task?
3. Are you precise when measuring something?
4. Are you able to make quick calculations and decisions in your head?
5. Do you like and can you perform physical work that requires lifting and climbing?
• Four years minimum
• No less than 4,800 hours of on-the-job training
• Download official work processes
• 17 years or older
• High school diploma, GED or Equivalency
The application process may include the following:
• Written exam
• Drug screening
ABC NorCal’s Apprenticeship Programs are approved for VA benefits. Eligible veterans can use their GI Bill benefit and receive a tax-free stipend
during their apprenticeship program. Click here
for more information about the Post-9/11 GI Bill.
Please note: The U.S. Department of Veteran’s Affairs (VA) determines veteran eligibility for education-related benefits. Contact the VA if you have questions regarding your eligibility.